This Invitation to Comment sets out the issues and considerations related to a review of the deferral provisions in the Public Sector Accounting Board’s (PSAB) standards on employment benefits, including:
- RETIREMENT BENEFITS, Section PS 3250; and
- POST-EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS, COMPENSATED ABSENCES AND TERMINATION BENEFITS, Section PS 3255.
The objectives of this Invitation to Comment are to:
- explain why PSAB is considering whether the deferral provisions in the standards remain appropriate;
- identify potential alternatives and related considerations; and
- seek stakeholder input prior to PSAB establishing its preliminary views on this issue.
Separate invitations to comment will be issued in the future on, for example, discount rates and other aspects of the project PSAB deems necessary to give the issue due attention and consideration. This Invitation to Comment does not cover all aspects of Phase I as it is described in the “Background to the project” section (page ii).
The ultimate objective of this project is to issue a new employment benefits Section in the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Handbook, replacing Sections PS 3250 and PS 3255.