The Accounting Standards Oversight Council (AcSOC) is seeking
new members to appoint to the Accounting Standards Board (AcSB).
Are you interested in contributing to accounting standard setting in Canada? Do you want to help ensure standards remain relevant?
The AcSB has an ambitious work program to address all categories of reporting entities and is looking for experienced individuals who:
- are committed to the AcSB’s strategic direction;
- have a broad vision;
- possess an understanding of accounting concepts; and
- are able to anticipate the implications of proposed standards.
We need you
Responsible for volunteer appointments, AcSOC maintains a balance of different backgrounds and perspectives amongst the AcSB’s members.
AcSOC is currently looking for new members who:
- are users of financial statements; and
- are preparers of financial statements using accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations.
While the AcSB’s working language is English, being bilingual is an asset.
What’s in it for you
- Learn about the roles various organizations play to ensure that investors and the public-at-large can rely on and trust the Canadian accounting standard-setting processes.
- Understand the processes by which accounting standards are established.
- Recognize the challenges involved in setting standards that apply to both large and small entities, and the implications of these challenges on oversight.
- Give back, while gaining in-depth knowledge and experience.
About the role
This demanding but rewarding volunteer role involves the following:
- A minimum time commitment of approximately 300 hours a year, including:
- preparation and meeting time and opportunities to represent the AcSB by conducting presentations; and
- stakeholder outreach.
- Seven face-to-face meetings per year in Toronto and a few conference calls, unless additional face-to-face discussions are warranted. (Please note: the estimated time commitment excludes travel.)
- Effective April 1, 2020 for a three-year term, with the possibility of renewing for a second term.
- Unpaid with travel and other relevant costs reimbursed.
Need more information about this opportunity? Contact:
Kelly Khalilieh, CPA, CA
Director, Accounting Standards Board
Phone: +1 (416) 204-3453