Volunteer Opportunity – Accounting Standards Oversight Council
The Accounting Standards Oversight Council (AcSOC) is looking for new members!
We need prominent members of the Canadian business and professional community to protect the public interest by overseeing the activities of the private and public sector accounting standard-setting processes.
AcSOC is an independent, volunteer body established by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (previously the CICA) in 2000. The Council serves the public interest by overseeing and providing input into the activities of the Accounting Standards Board (AcSB) and the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB).
Past and present AcSOC members include prominent members of the business, professional and government community, and academia. These include regulators, senior lawyers, a member of the indigenous community, investors and other users, and preparers and auditors of financial reports.
We need you
We are looking for candidates with:
- experience with financial reporting as it relates to either public companies, private companies, not-for-profit organizations and government sectors; and
- background either as a financial statement preparer, auditor, audit committee member, business or investment adviser or with another type of user perspective.
In particular, we are interested in candidates who either:
- have experience as a senior lawyer in a large legal firm, or have significant legal experience;
- work in the not-for-profit sector or have significant experience within NFPOs;
- have experience with risk management practices within financial institutions;
- have experience as an internal auditor in a large public company; or
- have a public policy background.
- It is not necessary to hold a professional accounting designation. We strive to ensure that a third of the membership does not hold such a designation.
- In particular, while not limited to these areas, we encourage applications from individuals based in western Canada or in the Maritime provinces.
What’s in it for you
- Work with and debate issues of public interest and financial reporting with other prominent members of the Canadian business, professional, and government community to expand your personal network.
- Learn about the role various organizations play to ensure that investors and the public-at-large can rely on and trust the Canadian accounting standard-setting processes.
- Understand the processes by which accounting standards are established.
- Recognize the challenges involved in setting standards that apply to both large and small entities, and the implications of these challenges on oversight.
- Have the opportunity to give back, while gaining in-depth knowledge and experience.
About the role
- There are three two-day meetings a year, two of which take place in Toronto and one in another Canadian city.
- This is a volunteer position that includes travel and other relevant cost reimbursement.
- The working language is English.
Apply by Monday, November 5, 2018
For more information and/or to submit a résumé, contact:
Stephenie Fox, CPA, CA
Phone: +1 (416) 204-3277