Volunteer Opportunity – Public Sector Accounting Board
The Accounting Standards Oversight Council (AcSOC) is seeking
new members to appoint to the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB).
Are you interested in driving public sector accounting standard-setting in Canada? Do you want to help in ensuring that these standards are set in the public interest?
PSAB is currently in the midst of accomplishing its 2017-2020 Strategic Plan, which addresses a number of specific areas and issues, including:
- Finalizing the conceptual framework, guiding standards for years to come.
- Reviewing our approach to International Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Continuously enhancing stakeholder participation, support and acceptance of our standards.
- Implementing a public sector not-for-profit organization strategy that is in the public interest.
We are looking for candidates such as academics, auditors, financial statement preparers, not-for-profit sector professionals, all levels of government, economists, and many others.
Attributes of all candidates should include:
- a strong public interest perspective;
- the seniority and credibility to be recognized as a “voice” in Canada and, as needed, internationally;
- sufficient time and scheduling flexibility; and
- the ability to work collaboratively to reach a consensus in order to develop high quality standards.
AcSOC also considers the professional composition and geographical and gender balance of PSAB. Members will be selected so that PSAB membership reflects a broad cross-section of those affected by public sector accounting standards.
PSAB members are not required to hold a professional accounting designation.
This demanding but rewarding volunteer role involves a time commitment of approximately 130 hours per year, including preparation and meeting time. PSAB normally meets in person in Toronto four times annually and holds conference calls periodically when required. Appointments are generally three-year terms.
The position is unpaid. Travel and other relevant costs are reimbursed in accordance with CPA Canada’s travel policies.
Please note: PSAB’s working language is English.
Expressions of interest should be submitted by August 31, 2018.
If you are interested in this position, know of someone who might be, or need more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PSAB was created to serve the public interest by establishing accounting standards for the public sector. PSAB also provides guidance for financial and other performance information reported by the public sector.
AcSOC is an independent, volunteer body established by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (now CPA Canada) in 2000 to serve the public interest by overseeing and providing input into the activities of the Accounting Standards Board (AcSB). In 2003, AcSOC started overseeing and providing input into the activities of PSAB.